By Peter Brimelow
The arguable, bestselling ebook (37,500 hardcover copies offered) that is helping outline the controversy approximately essentially the most vital and hotly contested matters dealing with the USA: immigration.
Read or Download Alien Nation: Common Sense About America's Immigration Disaster PDF
Similar emigration & immigration books
"The Muhammad caricature predicament of 2005-2006 in Denmark stuck the realm all of sudden because the starting to be hostilities towards Muslims had now not been commonly spotted. during the methodologies of media anthropology, cultural experiences, and conversation reports, this ebook brings jointly greater than 13 years of study on 3 major old media occasions on the way to exhibit the drastic adjustments and rising fissures in Danish society and to show the politicization of Danish information journalism, which has outcomes for the political illustration and daily lives of ethnic minorities in Denmark.
This e-book includes the old assessment of migration strategies in Kyrgyzstan, modern migration traits in overseas migration and diverse social, monetary and political affects of migration. It offers the findings of longstanding, in-depth, accomplished and empirical learn. Insights are maximized by means of using the multi-sited technique of examining either the migrant's native land and that of vacation spot.
Farmers in Laos, U. S. allies in the course of the Vietnam battle, refugees in Thailand, electorate of the Western world—the tales of the Hmong who now stay in the US were instructed intimately via books and articles and oral histories over the last a number of many years. like every immigrant staff, participants of the 1st iteration may possibly yearn for the earlier as they watch their childrens and grandchildren locate their method within the dominant tradition in their new domestic.
- The Welfare State in Post-Industrial Society: A Global Perspective
- The New Maids: Transnational Women and the Care Economy
- Globalization and Postcolonialism: Hegemony and Resistance in the Twenty-first Century
- Voyage to North America, 1844-45: Prince Carl of Solms' Texas Diary of People, Places, and Events
Additional resources for Alien Nation: Common Sense About America's Immigration Disaster
Ewald, ‘Crossers of the Sea: Slaves, Freedmen, and Other Migrants in the Northwestern Indian Ocean, c. 1750–1914’, American Historical Review 105, 1, 2000: 76–77. 2 The Indian & Eastern Engineer. An Illustrated Weekly Journal for Engineers in India and the East 24/439, 7 September 1895. 3 PRO, MT 9/1087 (1917): Tables showing the Progress of Merchant Shipping in the United Kingdom and the Principal Maritime Countries (in continuation of Parliamentary Paper No. 167 of Session 1910). London: His Majesty’s Stationary Oﬃce, 1912.
668. For later ﬁgures see below. 6 G. Balachandran, ‘Recruitment and Control of Indian Seamen: Calcutta, 1880– 1935’, International Journal of Maritime History 9, 1, 1997: 2; S. Küttner, Farbige Seeleute im Kaiserreich. Asiaten und Afrikaner im Dienst der deutschen Handelsmarine, Erfurt: Sutton Verlag, 2000, p. 10; Hood, Blight of Insubordination, p. 13; OIOC, Bombay Marine Proceedings (hereafter: BoMP) P/10793, A161: Bombay Shipping Master to Secretary to Government, Marine Department, 15 March 1920.
This example may illustrate that the networks spanning village and port town were, in fact, ‘networks of subordination’ or, more precisely, infrastructures of subordinating labour. Yet they did not work all that smoothly, were ridden with contradictions and constantly subject to social conﬂict and renegotiation. Signiﬁcantly, the most substantial conﬂicts arose concerning those nodes of maritime labour networks that were most unambiguously in the shipping companies’ interest. 116 The refusal or inability of a lascar to pay the previously agreed share of his wages to the serang could lead to extremely tense relations on board ship.