By Jeanette Sakel
Moseten belongs to the small, unclassified language relations Mosetenan and is spoken through approximately 800 humans within the foothills of the Bolivian Andes and the adjacent lowland sector. This ebook presents a grammatical description of Moseten within the kind of a descriptive reference grammar. it's according to the author's large fieldwork in Bolivia and is meant to be entire and aimed toward linguists from all backgrounds. Belonging to an unclassified language kin, Moseten is of designated curiosity to typologists, ancient linguists, touch linguists and South Americanists. The grammar is split right into a bankruptcy on phonology (2.) and 6 chapters at the morphology: morphological approaches (3.) the nominal procedure (4.), pronouns and reference (5.), adjectives and adverbs (6.), quantification (7.) and the verbal procedure (8.). those chapters are via voice (9.), negation (10.) and modality and discourse markers (11.). eventually, there are syntactically orientated chapters on clause kinds (12.) and clause combos (13.). within the appendix, 3 sorts of texts, an inventory of morphemes, a listing of references and additional bibliographical notes are extra. additionally, there's an index. This grammar is the 1st available and complete description of a Mosetenan language.
Read Online or Download A grammar of Mosetén PDF
Similar grammar books
In 1962, the thinker Richard Taylor used six typically authorised presuppositions to suggest that humans haven't any keep an eye on over the longer term. David Foster Wallace not just took factor with Taylor's procedure, which, based on him, scrambled the family members of good judgment, language, and the actual international, but additionally famous a semantic trick on the center of Taylor's argument.
Just about all languages have a few grammatical capacity for categorizing nouns. This booklet offers a complete and unique research of noun categorization units worldwide. it is going to curiosity typologists, these operating within the fields of morphosyntactic version and lexical semantics, in addition to anthropologists and all different students attracted to the mechanisms of human cognition.
- A vocabulary and outlines of grammar of the Nitlakapamuk or Thompson tongue : the Indian language spoken between Yale, Lillooet, Cache Creek and Nicola Lake : together with a phonetic Chinook dictionary, adapted for use in the province of British Columbia
- Individuals in Time: Tense, aspect and the individual/stage distinction (Linguistik Aktuell / Linguistics Today)
- Construal (Language, Speech, and Communication)
- Impersonal "si" constructions: Agreement and Interpretation (Studies in Generative Grammar 90) (Studies in Generative Grammar [Sgg])
Extra resources for A grammar of Mosetén
In interrogative clauses, a questionmarking particle indicates the type of question. Information questions are furthermore marked by an interrogative pronoun. Clause combinations can be carried out in various ways. 'Andycoordinations are marked by juxtaposition or a particle, while the clitics -ki and -tsa ' mark contrastive coordination. There are various ways of expressing subordination of clauses in complement clauses, adverbial clauses and relative clauses. Moreover, participial clause combinations occur, where one or more verbs appear as participles, while only the main verb is inflected.
5. Trills /r/ is a short trill. Usually, the tongue hits the gum ridge only once. It can appear at the beginning of the syllable (2: 102) and at the end of the syllable (2: 103): (2: 102) [rax] [P~P~x] (2:103) [fer] [fen] 'all' 'father in law' ' strong' 'egg' Some people pronounce /r/ as a retroflex flap [[l.
The vocabularies are of the languages Canichana, Cayubaba, Movima, Maropa, MosetCn, Pacahuara and Tacana. He finds MosetCn 'Frenchy in its pronunciation', which probably is due to the nasalized vowels. Lucien Adam (1889), a French scholar, made in 1889 the attempt to extract grammatical information fiom Herrero's catechism, taking also into account the information presented in Heath. He claims that MosetCn does not seem to be related to the Mojo languages nor other known languages in Bolivia. Lafone Quevedo (190111902)'~published Armentia's manuscript in the years 1901 and 1902.