By William Deverell, Greg Hise
This Companion comprises 25 unique essays through writers and students who current a professional evaluation of the easiest and most crucial paintings up to now at the complicated historical past of Los Angeles.
- The first Companion delivering a old survey of l. a., incorporating serious, multi-disciplinary topics and leading edge scholarship
- Features essays from more than a few disciplines, together with historical past, political technology, cultural reviews, and geography
- Photo essays and ‘contemporary voice’ sections mix with conventional historiographic essays to supply a multi-dimensional view of this brilliant and various city
- Essays disguise the foremost themes within the box inside a thematic constitution, together with demography, social unrest, politics, pop culture, structure, and concrete studies
Read or Download A Companion to Los Angeles PDF
Best state & local books
During this energetic narrative with its various illustrations and pictures, Steven C. Levi captures the colour and the riches of the Alaska Gold Rush and tells the tales of the larger-than-life characters who lived the journey. The Alaska Gold Rush on the finish of the nineteenth century was once the final nice healthy of gold fever in North the USA.
The Nineties have been a tumultuous decade in American heritage, with monetary melancholy, warfare, heated politics, and exertions conflicts surrounding the United States? ‚? ’s emergence as a global strength. in contrast chaotic historical past, lifestyles within the rowdy western mining city of Durango, Colorado, and the quiet agricultural hamlet of Sandwich, Illinois, appeared to be worlds aside.
The San Francisco Mime Troupe Reader is a long-overdue selection of many of the most interesting political satires created and produced through the Tony Award-winning corporation over the past 40 years. it's also a background of the corporate that used to be the theater of the counterculture circulate within the Nineteen Sixties and that, opposed to all odds, has controlled to outlive the usually adversarial economy for the humanities within the usa.
A Nevada background by way of a local Nevadan and historian indicates prosperity be in line with various companies instead of on a gaming-financed economic system. Nevada stories in historical past and Political technological know-how.
- This Blue Hollow: Estes Park, the Early Years, 1859-1915
- Five Stars: Missouri's Most Famous Generals (MISSOURI HERITAGE READERS)
- When the War Was Over: The Failure of Self-Reconstruction in the South, 1865--1867
- Ann Arbor Observed: Selections from Then and Now
- The Nation's Crucible: The Louisiana Purchase and the Creation of America
- Americans View Their Dust Bowl Experience
Extra resources for A Companion to Los Angeles
San Pedro, just south of Los Angeles, was “the best place on the whole coast for hides,” according to one observer, serving the extensive ranching plains of the Los Angeles Basin and the San Fernando Valley (Dana 1840; Francis 1976: 521–38). As they engaged in this trade, Californios’ economic attachment to Mexico decreased while exchange with foreign traders increased. This trend reflected the weakened economy of Mexico as a whole, which suffered after the long and destructive wars of Independence.
260–98. , 2005. Changing National Identities at the Frontier: Texas and New Mexico, 1800–1850. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , 1992. Mexican Los Angeles: A Narrative and Pictorial History. Mountain View, CA: Floricanto Press. , 1846. Life in California during a Residence of Several Years in that Territory. New York: Wiley & Putnam. Robinson, W. , 1938. The Indians of Los Angeles, As Revealed by the Los Angeles City Archives. Historical Society of Southern California Quarterly, 20, (4), pp.
Today, a bustling, wide-awake metropolis has pushed north, east, south and west – over the hills where the vaquero tended his herds; over the gravel flats where stood the shack of the Digger; straight across the broad acres of the rancho, obliterating the last trace of the land baron’s hacienda. (J. Torrey Connor, Saunterings in Summerland, 1902) The rise of an Anglo-American city had all but submerged the Mexican pueblo by 1902. The completion of the transcontinental railroads during the 1870s and 1880s brought Anglo settlers, new industries, and ethnic workers to Los Angeles in unprecedented numbers.